Monday, October 4, 2010

The Tao of Dark Sages - Chapter 4, Part 5

The Tao of Dark Sages
by Scott Bradley


Sue-tzu, what is my ‘innate nature’? I remember that last year you seem to have rejected references to our ‘true nature’ or ‘buddha-nature’. I especially remember you said: ‘If you meet the buddha-nature kill it!’

Yes, Scott-tzu, I remember that phrase. I was rather proud of it! There is a very real difference between what I mean by ‘innate nature’ and the so-called ‘buddha-nature’. This buddha-nature is a transcendental nature that pre-exists my experience of it. At least this is how I read Bankei, its most assiduous advocate. I cannot follow there for two reasons. One, it posits a ‘thing’ outside my experience. And two, as such, it would have me seek it.

But before I say more! Understanding does not reside in debate and speculation. It does not arise from saying things in the most precise and correct way. It arises from your inner experience in the presence of the Tao. So, rather than compare and contrast, I will share simply what I have understood of innate nature in my experience and as expressed by the early followers of the Tao.

Chang-tzu has Lao-tzu explain to Confucius the wonderful experience of living in harmony with the Tao. When Confucius exclaims, Who could possibly live this?, Lao Tzu replies, "I certainly do not. The flowing stream does nothing, but it follows its nature." Your innate nature is you when you are most naturally you — when you follow your nature. You do nothing but allow it to spontaneously fulfill itself.

This is the you that you are when you have stopped trying to be something you are not. It is the empty you, the natural you, the you that has shaken off the burden of a separate existence. The birds in the trees, the fish in the pool, they are all living out their innate natures. They do what birds and fish do. The monkey in the cage, the dog on a leash, they have lost their innate nature because they can no longer behave naturally.

It is humanity alone that seems to be alienated from its innate nature as a matter of course. Perhaps all domesticated animals could be said to have lost their innate natures, as well. The early followers of the Tao thought this came from so-called civilization. Perhaps it was the consequence of the evolution of self-awareness, the ‘split mind’ which is by definition a separation from itself. Whatever the case, your innate nature is what you most assuredly are when you have realized your freedom.

So our innate nature is what we are when we are at our most natural?

That’s it exactly. Living your innate nature is living the awakening which you all seek. All that you seek is natural to your humanity. Anything else is just metaphysical nonsense. There is nothing as natural as so-called ‘awakening’.

If you're interested in reading more from this series by Scott Bradley, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.