Monday, October 4, 2010

Frustration Amidst the Laughter

There is a superb article posted at CounterPunch about housing foreclosures. It's written by a young Pakistani-American lawyer who was hired to try to save the home of one family. While it provides a riveting account of the frustration of dealing with a large bank, Wells Fargo, it is written in an insightful and almost comedic manner.

One word of caution, however. The article is long. It is probably equal to several days of posts here, but it certainly is worth reading, nonetheless. By the time you're finished, I bet you'll be as outraged as I am!
I was late when I first met my clients, the Lipkin family, outside my office. I was very late. I couldn't believe I was late. I felt like an imposter. Maybe I was an imposter. I had dressed as professionally as I could: a sophisticated sports jacket, slicked-back gelled hair, elegant briefcase. My straightened posture exuded the charismatic confidence of a seasoned attorney. In my mind, at least.

I extended a hand and introduced myself to a family that was about to have their home foreclosed upon. Carl and Natalie, the husband and wife (I've changed their names), were both in their early thirties. Their three young daughters were with them, wilting in the heat of the parking lot. They met me with open smiles, even though they had just driven ninety minutes from Sacramento on a scorching summer day. I invited them in.

I was hoping they would never guess that despite being a licensed attorney two years out of law school, I was utterly paralyzed with fear -- and earnestly praying to Allah that my potential clients were not about to call me out as an incompetent charlatan, punch me in the face, storm out of the office, and call the state bar seeking to disqualify me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.