Thursday, September 16, 2010

Unsociably Me

The folks are a bit behind schedule -- they didn't pull out of Newport, OR, until around 11:30 a.m. -- so I have more time on my hands than I expected. They probably won't arrive here until between 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.

It's interesting that, while I live only one state away and my brother lives in Kansas City, my dad sees my younger brother far more frequently and for longer durations than he sees me. I mention this not to echo Tommy Smothers (his gagline to brother Dick was always, "Mom liked you best!") but because it has to do with my personality more than anything else.

As I've shared with you many times, I am not a social person. There are many days when I see very little of my wife, my most favored person in the whole world! I tend to deal best with others in short bursts. If I have to play the role of host for more than a scant few days, it wears on me a great deal. My dad has keyed into this and that's why he and Susan will only be here for 2 1/2 days plus they won't be staying in our house.

When my dad goes to visit Sean in the Midwest, they have a grand time. They go out to eat, attend shows and movies, and maybe even take in a baseball game. Since I live far out in the sticks -- with the exception of eateries -- there isn't as much to do and I'm not interested in most of that stuff anyway. So, we sit and talk. If it's not raining too much -- the forecast for the next 3 days calls for copious amounts of rain -- we might take in a bit of our natural scenery.

Just like almost anyone else who enjoys a good relationship, I'm anxious to see my folks. They are both getting up there in age (dad will be 77 next month) and I am very cognizant of the fact that neither of them will be around much longer. That said, visits put me on edge. It's an interruption of my established routines and I don't like to have my patterns interrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.