Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Thy Neighbor

It's been well established that I don't have much use for religion, in general, and Christianity, in particular. However, I might not be so anti-Christianity IF believers of this faith embraced one of the two great commandments that their main man urged believers to follow: Love thy neighbor. From what I've seen, by and large, this dictate is tossed aside whenever it's convenient.

Is opposing a Muslim Cultural Center in downtown New York consistent with loving thy neighbor? It doesn't appear so to me. It smacks more of hating your neighbor because they believe differently than you do.

Is building a fence across this country's southern border consistent with loving thy neighbor? It doesn't appear so to me. People walking across an imaginary line specifically threatens no one. It doesn't cause any harm to anyone. In fact, since the people crossing this imaginary line tend to be willing to do the kinds of dirty work that most Americans eschew, it actually seems as if their presence offers a distinct benefit.

Is denying gay people the right to marry consistent with loving thy neighbor? It doesn't appear so to me. You might not agree with their sexual orientation and/or their "lifestyle," but what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom doesn't impact anybody else. Since the Christian religion is built on the edifice of love, I think people would be happy that two adults -- regardless of their gender -- have made a commitment in love to each other and this should be celebrated, not condemned.

Is putting people to death consistent with loving thy neighbor? It doesn't appear so to me. According to the Christian belief system, we're ALL sinners and only God can mete out judgment. Since a sin in one's heart is supposedly as bad as any other sin, why do we have the right to rank one sin as more grievous than another? Didn't that Jesus fellow say something like, he that is without sin may cast the first stone?

What I've seen throughout my life is that Christians want to put conditions on a straightforward sentiment. The fellow they named their religion after did not say, "Love thy neighbor...except in the following cases." No, he is purported to have said, "Love thy neighbor." Period. No ands, ifs or buts.

If adherents can't follow or don't truly believe in such a direct statement, then what's the point of the whole belief system anyway? I mean, how can a person love God with all their heart, if they steadfastly refuse to follow his other great rule -- Love thy neighbor?

4 comments:

  1. This seems to be less of a complaint about the message of Christianity than the behaviour of Christians.

    Sadly it's always been that way with pretty much every belief system, religious or otherwise.

    The needs/benefits of the few will always come at the cost of those of the many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, but it's the way Christians interpret their own belief system that calls the whole thing into question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying not to comment on so many of your posts, because by now you must be sick of me. But I am a Christian and I do try to love my neighbor.
    There are some of us out there that still live by "Three things last forever: faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poet,
    Comment away. I get to say my piece on the blog itself. This is your space to say whatever you want. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.