Friday, August 13, 2010

Stumped

Within the past month, I came up with an idea: Make a desktop database of all the available online translations and renditions of the Tao Te Ching. Mind you, I'm not referring simply to a list, but loading the text itself either line by line or verse by verse.

Why would I want to do this, you ask. It would make it far easier to perform searches of key terms and phrases. In a manner of speaking, I guess I want an application to store the text data so that I eventually I could build a concordance for the TTC. If I was ever able to accomplish this monumental task, I could turn it into a document, e-book or something of that nature and then share it freely with anyone who was interested. (Note: No profit motive involved whatsoever.)

Here's my problem. For more than a decade, I managed the databases for several progressive nonprofits. The program I used was FileMaker Pro. While certainly not an expert in its use, I was very familiar with most of its functions and could produce almost ANY type of information anyone might request.

Unfortunately, while FileMaker runs on Windows and Macs, it does not work with Linux. (I know that it might possibly work with WINE, but I have yet to get one of my old Windows programs to run properly with WINE. After trying several times with several different programs, I gave up and uninstalled it.)

I've eyeballed a few database programs that work with Linux -- I've got the Open Office version plus glom on my computer -- but I don't understand how either of them works. I've read a few articles about SQL, but I don't possess the needed programming skills to set up a database of that nature.

Anyhow, I have this concept I'd like to implement, but I can't do it with the one database application that I can run in my sleep. The problem is compounded by the fact that, as an autistic individual, when I find something that I am comfortable with, I REALLY don't like the idea of changing horses.

I'm kind of stumped at this point as what to do next. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. What exactly do you want to do? List URL's or grab content, like text? I can maybe write a script that does something useful. I have to sign a quick disclaimer though that it may not be that amazing.

    Other tips would be to keep on googling for terms such as filemaker linux or posting on linux forums for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a comparison of various translations online that I've referenced a few times.

    http://www.wayist.org/ttc%20compared/indexchp.htm

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.