Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One Shoe On, One Shoe Off

Over the course of my life as a driver, I've covered a lot of miles. I've crossed the country twice between Oregon and Arkansas. I've taken many excursions to and fro. Though these days a long trip is from South Bend to Olympia and back, I still travel on the highway around my county quite a bit.

In all this time, I have not infrequently spied a certain item along the roadside and it always perplexes me as to how and why it got there. What I'm referring to is a solitary shoe! As I traveled to Bay Center this morning to take Della to work, we both noticed one such shoe along the side of the road.

It brings so many questions to mind. First, why one shoe and not a pair? Second, how does a solitary shoe end up next to the highway in the first place? Most importantly, why are there solitary shoes in the middle of nowhere?

Do some drivers become angry at whatever and decide to relieve their angst by hurling a shoe out the window? Could it be that people are dangling their feet out of the window of a moving vehicle and, because their shoes are not snug on their feet, a gust of wind blows one of them off? If so, why not stop the vehicle and retrieve it? Won't the person look sort of strange arriving at their destination only sporting one shoe?

Maybe this is another one of those fundamental mysteries that we will never know the answer to!

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed solitary shoes on the side (or middle) of the road, too.

    Maybe some of them were abandoned after car accidents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few shoes around too on beaches, in dumps, any by roads. Wouldn't it be also odd if they managed to remain in pairs?

    As for where all the single socks go from washing machines and tumble driers I don't know. I have many single socks that now make up odd-couple pairs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.