Thursday, August 19, 2010

Much Benign

For those of you who are longtime readers, you know that I go through periods when my deep philosophical self shows itself more than the norm. Over the past day or so, I've penned a few posts which may have caught some of you off guard. As I wrote in the preface of the last such post, I worry that some of you may think I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown or something of a similar kin.

I'm fine. I'm not lost in some dark vortex. When I started this blog many years ago, one of the things I pledged to myself was to be as authentic as possible. I decided I would throw caution to the wind and try to articulate thoughts and ideas that many in society never speak beyond a whisper, if they uttered them at all. I would lay my thoughts out here in their unvarnished nakedness in the hope that people visiting this venue would know they aren't alone.

Every person I have ever known has had thoughts or dreams that completely bewilder them. Ideas pop into their heads for no apparent reason that scare or befuddle them. Most try to wipe them away like cobwebs. Most would never admit beyond a whisper that the human mind is a deep cavern with many rooms. Most would never consider publicly articulating these thoughts for fear of being labeled insane, demented or worse.

I understand that I'm a very complex individual. I can be a silly prankster. I can wax poetically. And there are times I brood about the untold mysteries of life. When you combine the factors of a philosophic disposition with one autistic brain (which is not to suggest that all autistic brains are the same), you come out with something that most likely deviates a mile or more from the norm.

But while some of my thoughts may appear deep and dark, most of them would be considered benign. My gift/curse to try to see life from different sets of eyes involves far more than bloodthirsty killers. I often try this experiment from the standpoint of one of my dogs or my cat. I try to slip inside their skin to see life as they see it.

And it's not just sentient creatures either. I often envision what it would be like to be a tree or a blade of grass. Because of my belief in the Taoist concept of each entity being the manifestation of the One, I believe everything derives from one source and so we all share a kinship of nature. As luck would have it, I burst into the world in this human form, but I could have as easily been a butterfly or a cloud.

What I'm trying to impart to you is that my intent for this humble blog is to let it all hang out -- the good and the bad, the mundane and the extreme, the uplifting and the down drafts -- as much of the whole enchilada as I can share. Maybe you will see some of yourselves in the various things I write about and, in some instances, it may well shoot beyond your outermost boundaries.

All this blog amounts to is my testimony on one life lived from the perspective of one complex mind. It's nothing more and nothing less.

I'm neither a sage, a genius nor a madman. I'm simply The Rambling Taoist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.