Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Wanderings - Flow, Part 2

If you haven't read Part 1 of this story, you should go back to read it first.

One day, while marveling at the simplicity and impact of the brushings of P’o-tzu, Yu Chu exclaimed, “These works move my heart to harmony! Could it be possible, dear friend, to be taught to create the same? Would you not teach me?”

“Teach you?” responded P’o-tzu. “Teach you? Yes, I will teach you. Here, take these brushes and this ink. For now, you may apply the ink to the leaves of the forest.”

“Thank you, my friend!” enthused Yu Chu. “And what of technique; how should I hold the brush; what should I brush; how are the strokes to be ordered?”

“Technique? But there is no technique. There is only flow. Flow. Let the brush and its ink do as they will; yours is to harmonize with the process, nothing more. Brushing is an exercise wherein to experience flow.”

“And will this result in creations such as yours? And if so, how can they be appreciated if only applied to the leaves of the forest?”

“Ah,” said P’o-tzu, “you have failed to understand the first and only lesson that I can give you. To convey harmony you must be in harmony, and this is accomplished when you act not. Nor are you to think of a result, for flow knows no end and covets no ‘creation’. The end of flow is flow. Let each brush stroke arise as it will and the tableau will likewise arise. Be one with the process; there is nothing more to do.”

“And the leaves? How will I know what flow has wrought, if it is confined to the backs of leaves?”

“When you flow, you will know. Then we will find you some rice paper and even silk! But care not for what flow has wrought; flow is the beginning and the end; the end and the means.

What can these brushes do? Let them show you.

Let the brushes dance, Let the brushes live.
Result means nothing. Experience is all.”

“Kindly tell me more of The Flow, for you have said little of it until now,” entreated Yu Chu.

“’The Flow’? But I know nothing of ‘The Flow,’” replied P’o-tzu. “I know only flow, the experience of flow. What more could I know? Flow is harmony. Harmony is peace. Your heart hungers for peace. Why is this so? I neither know nor care. It is your heart-experience. Flow is peace.”

With this, Yu Chu retired to his hut and entered the process of cultivating the experience that is flow.

This post is part of a series. To view the index, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.