Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Wanderings - Flow, Part 1

Yu Chu found his friend P’o-tzu amongst the ferns which he called his friends and asked him saying, “Tell me, my friend, what is it that you find among these ferns that you spend so much time among them?”

“What? Oh, it’s you, Yu Chu! What do I find? Come, regard this fiddle! Do you see it? Here reside all the mysteries of the universe! Here mystery abides in such profusion that my heart would break if not surrendered thereto!”

“Is it only here in these ferns that you find it so?”

“But no! As surely you must know! Mystery is found in all things whatever they be. And all things are mystery! Mystery is all things and there is nowhere it is not! But these ferns — it was here, years ago beyond count, that I first experienced mystery and surrender thereto. I return to them now as to a first love.”

“My time in this vale,” continued Yu Chu, “has brought me peace beyond reckoning and at the fringes of harmony I have begun to know flow. But of surrender to The Great Mystery, I have yet to enjoy. How might I find it and surrender thereto?”

“’The Great Mystery’? What is this ‘The Great Mystery’? I know it not. Mystery is not a thing that we might call it ‘The’ no matter how great. Mystery is an experience of the human heart and nothing more of it can be said. It is neither the answer to a riddle nor the riddle itself.

As to finding mystery, how can you but not! It is the root of all things and the substance of your heart! And what is surrender but for the heart to proclaim: ‘Thank you! Yes!”

This post is part of a series. To view the index, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.