Monday, June 7, 2010

A Bit of Progress

I managed to get myself to the hospital early yesterday evening for my tetanus booster shot. I would have preferred going earlier in the day, but had to wait for my wife to get home from work.

On the positive side, I didn't spend Saturday night and most of the day Sunday working myself up into an anxious frenzy. I followed my usual routines and kept to my typical schedule. I didn't toss and turn in bed either -- running over the "shot" sequence in my head. I arose Sunday and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, then spent a good deal of time checking out my favorite blogs.

While I AM making progress in trying to rein in my penchant for overarching anxiety, I don't want anyone to get the idea that the whole thing was smooth sailing.

Once I arrived at the hospital, my anxiety started to go into overdrive. I joked with the receptionist about my anxiety level -- when very anxious, I'm a chatterbox almost on par with comedian Robin Williams. By the time I was ushered back to the exam room, my usually low blood pressure was going through the roof. I felt so sick that I thought I might vomit.

Yet, as with most things I become anxious with, it was over and done with in seconds. The nurse was superb in her craft as I hardly felt the shot at all. I had gotten myself worked up over virtually nothing.

Now, if only I can keep my anxiety levels in check in terms of potential side effects of the shot... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.