Saturday, May 22, 2010

Zhuangzi - Dried Fish

from Chapter 26
When Zhuang Zhou's (Zhuangzi's) family was suffering from poverty, he went to borrow some grain from the Marquis of Jian He.

The Marquis of Jian He said: "Sure. As soon as I get some money from the government, I'll lend you three hundred dollars. Will that do?"

Zhuang Zhou got perturbed and replied in a heated way:
"When I was on my way here yesterday I heard a yell from the middle of the road. As I turned around to see where the sound was coming from, I saw a carp lying in a rut made by a wagon wheel. I asked it: 'What's a carp doing here?' It replied: 'I'm a slave to the waves of the Eastern Ocean. Kind sir, could you give me a bucket of water and save my life?' I said: 'Sure. When I get to the south and gain an audience with the kings of Wu and Yue I'll have them divert the water westward from the Yangtze river to welcome you. Will that do?' The carp got perturbed and replied in a heated way: 'I'm no longer in my element and am without a means to survive. If I could get just a bucket of water I'd be able to go on living. If all you have to offer is words, then after this morning you might as well go looking for me in a dried fish store.' "
~ Nina Correa Translation ~
As I mulled over this passage today, the first thing that sprung to mind was the recent announcement by the Obama administration that a task force was being formed to look into the BP boondoggle in the Gulf of Mexico which will make recommendations for future energy policy. While there certainly is nothing improper about creating such a committee, it should not be the most imperative goal right now. No, the goal should be a) to stop the oil from gushing from the gulf floor and b) to clean up all the oil that has already gushed out.

The ecosystem demands swift corrective action and yet it appears that both BP and the federal government are dragging their feet. Like the carp in Zhuangzi's story, the people, animals, marine life and flora that thrive in and around the coastal waters of the gulf need a simple bucket of water (an immediate remedy) now to continue to thrive; a task force to study the situation for the future will be as effective for the current situation as diverting the Yangtze River!

To read more musings about the Zhuangzi, you can visit the index page for this ongoing series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.