Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Wanderings - The Bird of Plenty, Part 2

If you missed Part 1 of The Bird of Plenty, Part 2 will make more sense if you go back to read it now. :)

“For what reason then,” intoned the Great Sage, “have you disturbed my serene repose? Judging from the paucity of your offering, it must be a matter of little consequence. But I see from your rags and the foul scent offending my nostrils that you are yet another of these mad would-be sages that wander about the countryside filling the ignorant with a perfidious teaching of poverty and presumed unworldliness. Is it not rather that you fail of the Tao and thus call upon the Tao to sanction your failures? Finding yourself useless, you proclaim the virtue of uselessness. Come now, speak up and let us hear what excuse you offer for your wretchedness.”

“Are things as you describe them, Sir, or are the opinions of another more on the mark?” replied Tzu-yu. “As for me, I have neither opinion nor idea on the subject. I live simply and simply live. And as to the Tao, even less do I know. How then could I fail of the Tao or not fail of the Tao?

‘The Tao is found in Emptiness.
In Emptiness there is no Tao.’

You find me before you simply as I am, Sir. Long have I lived with empty pockets, and long have I wandered. Is this the way to the Tao? On this I have no opinion and give no prescription to that end. Only I will say that so long has my heart been empty that I scarce can remember my first name. And so long has my heart soared in the freedom of detachment that I scarce can remember the country from which I have wandered.”

To this the Great Sage replied with a snort: “It is as I thought; you cover your wretched failures in the world with the mantle of the Tao. And then you presume to judge those who have harnessed the power of Tao to bring wealth and well-being to themselves and those that surround them.”

“One bird by chance catches the South Wind and is brought to a land of great plenty,” answered Tzu-yu, “while another by chance is caught by the North Wind and finds itself in a frigid waste. The Tao gives them both life but leaves them to the vagaries of destiny. Does the Tao care more for one than the other? Is it not rather that things are simply as they are and in the end all things are One? Being One, what does it matter that one bird finds plenty and another want?

‘Return is the movement of the Tao.
All things resolve to the Source.’

Now you, Sir, have clearly found plenty. For I see that you have eaten very well and as we entered your illustrious home I saw that you have been blessed in having many beautiful concubines. As to whether this derives from the power of the Tao, I cannot judge. Nor, indeed, Sir, can I judge what peace may or may not reside in your heart. But
surely, it is that which lies within that determines a man’s happiness and that can only be known and judged by the man whose heart it is.”

“It is as you say,” answered the Great Sage. “But what man has found peace in want or plenty? That being so, I will content myself with plenty and leave you to your want. Enough! You weary me with your vain gibbering! Go and wander in your rags!”

The interview having thus ended the villagers hurried Tzu-yu to the village boundary, warning him not to return. But as he passed out of sight and into the trees one of the men took him aside and pressed a cockerel into his hands saying, “For your ill companion, Master. Alas, our bird of plenty is a vulture feasting on the weak. But as you say, the greatest plenty resides in the heart surrendered to the Tao, and on that he shall never feast.”

This post is part of a series. To view the index, go here.

2 comments:

  1. I knew the way the passage would conclude but I found the story and the the construction really fresh. This series is very enjoyable so far.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.