Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wen Tzu - Verse 171

from Verse One Hundred Seventy-One
What makes a country strong is willingness to die. What makes people willing to die is justice.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
As a pacifist, I'll be the first to admit that verses of this nature often are difficult for me. While it helps to remember that the mythic Lao Tzu made these points during the Warring States Period of Chinese history, the message herein remains a bit troubling.

What I take from this verse is that, if you treat other people judiciously, honestly, respectfully and fairly, they will be far more willing to go up and beyond the call of duty. Put another way, people will go to bat for you, even if it's not necessarily in their own best self-interest.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that in this context the word [justice] has many [social] meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-interpreted, IMO. Considering the time when it was written, strict pacifism may not have been an understood or explored ethical position. That doesn't take away from its value, or mean that the philosophy doesn't in fact encourage non-violence!

    This message would be a good one for radical capitalists and social darwinists to take to heart: self-interest leads to weakness and self-destruction; strength comes from a commitment to transcendental notions of justice and goodness, which are definitely worth fighting for!

    I've said it before, but thanks for this series. I don't have a copy of WT yet, and this is keeping me going until I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. I like your honest approach when you say that this makes you a bit uneasy. The same goes for me, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RZ,
    I agree! That's one of the cool things about the writings of Chuang Tzu, Lao Tzu & Wen Tzu: they address so many different levels simultaneously.

    C & M,
    I agree with what you written too.

    On another note, I won't keep you going on this text much longer as there 9 more verses. :-)

    Suecae,
    At several junctures, Lao Tzu talks about the military and conquests. As C&M posits above, pacifism wasn't much of an option back then. It is now and so we don't have to be tied to a perspective that didn't include it as a viable option.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.