Sunday, April 11, 2010

Derivations on a Theme - Taking Pause

Over at the Stationary Pilgrim, there was a post today explaining why the host hadn't posted much of anything in the past few days. It got me to thinking about the differences of the real world versus the blogosphere.

In the real world, people often become quite irritated when others yak incessantly. We often hear comments like, "I can't get a word in edgewise!" or "Will you shut up already!" or "Go bother somebody else!" or "Jeez, take a powder!"

In the blogosphere, it's a different animal altogether. If we become use to seeing several posts per day or, at least, one posting each day and this pattern is interrupted, people start to wonder what's wrong. Emails or comments left ask, "Why the silence?" or "Are you okay?"

I suppose the difference is that, in the real world, it's often hard to get away from the incessant talker, while in this virtual medium, we each get to choose when we want to engage in a conversation or listen to the dialog.

Like the Stationary Pilgrim, I haven't been posting with the same frequency as before. I seem to be in one of my more reflective moods and the words haven't been flowing between my mind and the keyboard. In addition, owing to my current physical woes, I'm suffering from a great deal of pain.

The way I look at it is that any good blog will have ebbs and flows. There will be times of a plethora of posts -- several per day. However, just like the tides of the ocean, there should be times when the water recedes. At some point, the water will cease to flow at all.

As long as I can type (or use speech-to-text) and as long as my brain functions coherently, this blog will live on, but it will do so with the ebbs and flows of my life.

2 comments:

  1. Blogging is non-commercial publishing or broadcasting; in the commercial world, people depend on or become accustomed to regularity, and generally, the people who pay you require it. However, since no one is really paying us as bloggers, we can publish at will. I write when I have something to say, not when I have a money-driven deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, that's the best reason to write and it's the main reason I have resisted placing any kind of ads on this blog. I don't want to get to the point in which I feel compelled to write something or lose ad dollars.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.