Saturday, April 17, 2010

New Links Section Added

After yesterday's post about the blog, Life With Wade, it dawned on me that my wife, Della, is a care provider for a woman with late stage Alzheimer's. Unlike Wade, this woman is non-ambulatory and mostly non-communicative. Della reports that her client does talk, but it's generally in a language of her own creation.

As someone with autism (Asperger's Syndrome), I may be a tad more fascinated with abnormalities of the brain. I find Alzheimer's and general dementia both to be intriguing and scary. I can't begin to imagine what it would (will?) be like slowly to lose one's mental functioning and capacity. If it's anything like losing one's physical capacity -- what I'm dealing with now -- I don't think I'd like to go down that road, thank you!!

Of course, the battle with Alzheimer's is not only about the person afflicted with it; it's as much of a challenge for the family and/or those who care for the individual. It can be scary, frightening, physically challenging and poignant. Just when you think you've reached the end of your rope, a moment of insane laughter or a knowing smile keeps you going.

Since I find this topic interesting, I've added a new links section for it in the right sidebar (down near the bottom).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.