Monday, January 18, 2010

Wen Tzu - Verse 121, Part V

from Verse One Hundred Twenty-One
Because the highest subtlety has no object, it can be universally caring. Because it is so immense there is nothing outside it, therefore it is a cover for all beings; because it is so fine that there is nothing inside it, therefore it is precious for all beings.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
One of the trappings I find so odd about the Abrahamic religions is this idea that the creator of all has special relationships with a select few. It almost sounds like a celestial lottery! If your number is drawn, you're in!!

I'm sorry, but that notion seems nonsensical to me. If we look out at the world around us, it's easy to observe that both good things and bad things happen to all people. Believing in certain holy books, creeds or rituals doesn't seem to shield anyone.

Besides, if this creator created everything, why would he/she have favorites anyway? Wouldn't every being and every form have the essence of creation in them? It would be like me stating that I have a special kinship with my feet, but not my testicles and, especially, not my hair follicles!

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. And a good chuckle in the deal too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha your comment was funny. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. I seemed to rub my testicles the wrong way. They are outside my house picketing now. :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.