Tuesday, January 19, 2010

There's No Business Like...

Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I like to laugh AND make other people laugh. All throughout my public school years and extending into college I was a class clown. I'm known to play silly pranks on friends and, in this very space, my somewhat odd sense of humor often seeps into my writings.

Besides my parents, one of the things that helped me find my comedic voice early in life was the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (1962-92). I started watching it around 1966 and continued to watch it regularly all through Carson's tenure. When Johnny finally retired, Jay Leno took the helm. While he's no Johnny Carson, I still became a big Jay Leno fan. (In fact, while most of America refused to watch his recent prime time show, I watch it 3 - 5 times per week!)

Needless to say, I've been utterly aghast at NBC's handling of the Jay Leno-Conan O'Brien fiasco in relation to the Tonight Show. O'Brien, who took over for Leno last June, has been treated so shabbily that I will probably boycott my most beloved show from here on!

Look, I realize this media brouhaha is not that important in the overall scope of things. It doesn't compare to the tragedy in Haiti nor what's going on in the halls of our nation's capitol. But I think this bizarre episode is resonating with so my American's today because of rampant unemployment and the fact that average Joes like me know what it's like to work for a backstabbing boss. (If you don't know the particulars of this sordid tale, check out the link above or simply type "Jay Leno Conan O'Brien" in your favorite search engine.)

On tonight's prime time Leno show, the host pleaded with his audience not to blame him for the sorry situation. While I've been a huge Leno fan for over 20 years, his weak argument rang hollow. He acted like he could exert no impact on the situation when, in fact, all he had to do was to say "no." The very fact that he refused to utter that word only goes to show, as one pundit put it, that it now turns out that his ego is as big as his chin!

'nough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.