Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 62

from Verse Sixty-Two
To use a finite lifetime to worry and grieve over the chaos of the world is like weeping into a river to increase its water in fear of its drying up. Those who do not worry about the chaos of the world but enjoy order in their own bodies can be engaged in conversation about the Way.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
The irony of the questions posed in my previous post aren't lost on me! Lao Tzu's answer is right here.

I think I should say a word or two, at this juncture, about the process I'm employing for this series on the Wen Tzu. With previous series, I've read the whole document before I even start to write my first post. I plot out what I will write and when. In others words, I craft a loose knit plan and, more or less stick to it.

I'm handling this series altogether differently. I read a verse or part of a verse and I write what jumps out at me. I'm rarely more than one verse ahead of what is posted here. In essence, we're discovering this book together with me serving in the role of editor.

As of this post, I have not read Verse 63 or anything beyond. So, it remains a mystery if any other questions I've posed will be answered in subsequent verses.

We -- and I truly mean we -- will see!

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

3 comments:

  1. There's something funny going on here.
    The circuit is LIVE!
    Care must be taken when fiddling with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just hoping it doesn't short circuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More internal cultivation references.

    With some regard to your earlier posts about why don't people care, and your concern for the lemmings...interesting article by Prince Charles in Newsweek:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/225530
    HE WRITES:
    "As we have become progressively more separate from Nature, and more reliant on technological inventiveness to solve our problems, we have become less able to see our predicament for what it really is—namely as being utterly out of balance, having lost any sense of harmony with the earth's natural rhythms, cycles, and finite systems. The fact that we generally regard economics as being separate from Nature is just one, albeit quite fundamental, sign of this imbalance.

    "Forging a reconnection with Nature and reintegrating our societies and economies with her capacities is, as far as I can see, the real challenge to which we must rise. The Copenhagen summit will, I hope, contribute to a shift at this deeper level, as well as set out the plan for transition to a low-carbon economy based on official targets, policies, and technologies. As things stand, the world is not short of all these—what it does lack, however, is a mindset fit for the situation we face.

    While time may not be on our side, our ability to cooperate and innovate to find solutions appears to be with us still. We have in the past faced huge challenges and prevailed. This time the challenge seems greater than ever before, but I hope with all my heart that in Copenhagen we will be able to exploit these very human attributes to the full. It is the very least we can do for future generations."

    Pretty words. Maybe if Churchill could say them people would pay attention.

    I'm not real optimistic.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.