Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 61, Part II

from Verse Sixty-One
I went along with the time for three years; when the time was gone, I left; when I had been gone for three years, the time was there and I followed. When I was neither rejecting anything nor becoming attached to anything, I stood in the right place in the middle.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
I'll be the first to admit that I struggle with this aspect of Taoist thought. It's not that I don't necessarily understand its wisdom! However, when I look out at the current trajectory of society and the world of politics, I see humankind marching off toward a toxic toilet of our own making and I feel the need to try to do whatever possible to alter this course.

And this is where I find myself in a dilemma. On the one hand, I understand the necessity of flowing with the situation. On the other hand, the flow seems to be moving in the wrong direction. So, what to do?

I do realize that part of the answer is contained within me. Before worrying about the rest of the world, I should get myself in order -- embrace my own nature and vital essence. However, even if that is possible, what about my fellow beings? If I see them marching off a cliff, should I merely stand by and sing "Que Sera Sera?"

I haven't discerned an answer yet.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

8 comments:

  1. Three years is the time alloted to achieve the birth of the "immortal fetus" in internal alchemy. I think this is another reference to those esoteric cultivation methods.

    Worrying about the lemmings is indeed your dilemma. You have that socio-political thing (possibly a remnant of the Judeo-Christian outlook). I take a more metaphysical view of things. Each person participates in his own destiny as he makes it.

    You might want to consider some Buddhist thinking sometime as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis true. I do focus on lemmings, though I think it is derived more from Marx than religion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will never persuade a lemming to not do what lemmings do.
    The question is: are you a lemming?

    Lao Tzu asks: Do you think the world is perfect?
    Thinking is is not changes nothing.
    It is perfectly what it is.
    The only imperfect world is that contained within ourselves.

    Gee: I hope I am not wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say accept what you can not change, change what you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference. Serenity and courage can co-exist with in you simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the tricky part -- figuring out what can and cannot be changed. If we look at any of the great social or civil rights movements of the last 200 years or so, when people first begin the work to bring change, it looked like something that cannot or will not change. It's turned out to be a good thing that such pioneers didn't give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. society will always be corrupt, if it were not so then virtue would not be great. but virtue is great, because it is contrasted with the way things operate by those in power. light and darkness- we need both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMERICAN TAOIST AT LIFETRAX.COM WILL JUST SAY YOU ARE DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND TO KEEP DOING IT, OTHERS WILL FOLLOW WHEN YOU LEAD. GREAT BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It's turned out to be a good thing that such pioneers didn't give up."

    I don't think this is necessarily obvious.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.