Saturday, December 5, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 53, Part IV

from Verse Fifty-Three
In this way you avoid losing your honesty even when you are in the midst of dishonest people; you flow along with the world yet do not leave your domain. You do not contrive to be good and do not try to avoid embarrassment.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
This passage brings together the two concepts I've been focusing on in the past several posts: centering and expectations.

It should be noted that there is no one center point shared by all beings. It's not like there is a celestial target with one divine bullseye that everyone should take aim at. Each being has its own nature, so the center point for me may be far different than the center point for you.

Too often, when attempting to live up to the expectations of others or the society as a whole, we find ourselves being pulled away from our own center. However, to appease others (maybe ourselves too), we acquiesce to their dictates, yet soon find that we are completely out of balance. We know that something is out of whack, but we have so accepted their expectations as a given that we can't put our finger on what the problem is.

So, while on the surface, we play the role of the good spouse, the loving child, the understanding sibling, the obedient citizen or the productive worker, stress and tension builds up inside of us. The more we continue in these roles, the more we become estranged from the Way.

The Tao person embodies the Way without taking on any roles. Such a person is genuine in their relations with others without falling prey to expectations. They do what needs to be done or they say what needs to be said simply because the situation or circumstances call for it, not because other people expect it.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

7 comments:

  1. You completely missed the opportunity to talk about honesty/dishonesty.
    I have a lot of interest in this topic. And a lot of experience.
    But I will refrain from discharging it here.
    Do you have anything to say on this topic?
    Hurry up and get to verse 54 whereupon I will magically dematerialize :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a missed opportunity at all. There are 180 verses in the Wen Tzu. I'm sure the topic you fancy will come up at some point. : )

    In addition, just because I chose not to focus on that aspect, you are more than welcome to. As this comments section is unmoderated, be my guest and write away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...
    In a nutshell:
    Verse 53 says to me - and I agree with every word:
    Honesty is essential to one's becoming tao.
    Dishonesty ensures one never will.
    One may talk, read, discuss, meditate and contemplate tao forever. But until one sees the futility of dishonesty, the damage it does, and the chaos it sows, there can be no progress.

    A day came where I saw this, and decided never again to be dishonest.
    Anyone can do this.
    Go on a truth diet.
    Stick to it.
    Suddenly there is nothing so unfathomable about the tao, and nothing to be at odds with.
    Suddenly it is absurdly easy and obvious. The mysteries remain but one becomes easy with mystery remaining mystery.

    I could write reams on this but like a truth-diet, a posting-diet is also beneficial.
    Honesty is as essential to the taoist as breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really having a hard time right now with the "productive worker" thing. Wu wei (to say nothing of honesty) doesn't work in the workplace, at least mine. All other aspects of my life are just fine, but I so want to retire!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crow,
    That was well stated. That said, to be more complete, I suggest you need to define the word, honesty. Many believe that truth is not a fixed point and/or that two or more people can look at the same situation and understand different truths.

    If interested, if you desire to write a more threshed out version of the above or something similar, I'd be very pleased to post it here as a Guest Column.

    Baroness,
    A lot of Taoist principles don't work well in the contemporary office setting. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That had me smiling.
    Wu wei is no easy thing when one is paid to wu.
    I am lucky to be retired, in that I wu more than ever, but I wu for myself now, and that seems so much more wei.
    Weiwu seems to say exactly the same thing as wuwei.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for this post, it is timely for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.