Saturday, December 5, 2009

Curry a F(l)avor

When I first pitched the idea of a curried soup featuring sweet potatoes, carrots and pumpkin, my wife shriveled up her nose. She said she might be willing to try it, but I should expect that I would have to eat the whole thing myself.

Well, I made the soup today. As I was cooking the first portion in the soup pot, Della came in and said, "That's smells really good." She took a sample and her eyes lit up. Not only did she love it, but she even helped with the spicing!

While I have no plans to turn this blog into one that focuses on the culinary arts, I decided I would share the recipe for this rather unique, low-fat, vegetarian soup.
Curried Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Soup
1 pound raw sweet potatoes, skinned and diced
1 can Vegetable Broth
2 cups carrots, chopped (organic ones taste the best!)
2 cups leeks, chopped
2 tablespoons raw garlic
1 can of Pumpkin (the small can variety)
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups of fat-free Half & Half
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Water
Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids (whatever amount you want)

Heat the vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, carrots, leeks and garlic (with enough water to cover) to a boil. Once the carrots are as soft as you want them, stir in the canned pumpkin, butter, half & half and the spices. Simmer, but don't boil. Take the cooked soup and blend it to make a creamed soup.

Makes 10 servings
Each serving contains less than 2 grams of fat, almost no cholesterol and nearly 4 grams of fiber.

3 comments:

  1. Oh sounds SOOO good. Thanks for the recipe. I might use it with those "Turks Head" pumpkins we get here in Hawaii. And Okinawan sweet potatoes, but that might make it a funny color! (They are bright purple.) And fresh ginger, which is ubiquitous here.

    I have a recipe for a black bean and pumpkin thing that is also quite nice, similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mystery of pumpkins...
    I find I enjoy pumkin-anything, but only once a year. The taste seems - for me - a one-off event, in that having enjoyed it, I can gladly live another year without enjoying it again.
    Deer seem not to like pumpkins at all, even when hungry. In fact, almost nothing seems to eat pumpkins, except people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baroness,
    Just the idea of black beans and pumpkins sounds yummy. Would you send it to me via email.

    Crow,
    I think I remember reading somewhere that Coyotes like pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.