Friday, December 4, 2009

Wen Tzu - Verse 53, Part I

from Verse Fifty-Three
The Way is to preserve what you already have, not to seek what you haven't got. If you seek what you've haven't got, then what you have is lost; if you go along with what you have, then what you want will come.
~ Wen-tzu: Understanding the Mysteries ~
I view this as a very dangerous passage, not because there is anything wrong with the message itself, but because I can see how many people might completely misunderstand it by missing the overall context.

If read out of context, I can see how some people might think this sounds like a gimmick: Concentrate on what you have now and, down the road, all your egotistical desires will be realized in spades! However, if we approach life in that way, this is what Lao Tzu would describe as contrivance.

So, what do I understand the above passage to mean? For me, the key is what a person wants. Since one of the key principles of Taoist thought is simplicity, what you have and what you want should be the same thing or close to it. Consequently, if you go along with simplicity now, then your future will bring more simplicity or if you hold unto virtue today, tomorrow will be more virtuous.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to go a step further and say that it can mean that what you have now meets your needs and what you will want later is to also have your needs met. So if you are content with what you have and it meets your needs then your future 'want' will be same and it will meet your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the point I was trying to make far better than I did! I really struggled with this post as I knew what I wanted to write in my head, but I had trouble getting it down on paper, so to speak.

    But, of course, this is why the comments section exists. Often, readers such as yourself explain things better than I do and add key elements that either I forgot OR I didn't think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to lend a hand, you've already done the same for me and am glad you found my site. Your site and comments and even your other readers' comments have helped me a lot in what I have going on in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandpa used to say, "You can have anything you want, as long as you know what to want." This passage strikes me a bit that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And my late Druid-ish mother-in-law used to say, "Happiness is not getting what you want, but being content with what you get." I really miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like Thurman's grandpa and the mother-in-law of the Baroness were very wise people indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my take on this passage is, to be content with your life as it is and don't be miserable desiring the lives that other people lead. it's something i have to remind myself of, because other people "get" to travel to exotic places, or spend their evenings being entertained in a movie theater, or have the luxury of watching cable t.v. in the afternoon or owning a reliable, fuel-efficient car!
    for me, those things would be nice, but they are not what's important to me. the things that are important to me, i already have. i just need to remind myself of this from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.