Thursday, December 3, 2009

Die Glockenspiel

Okay, so I'm sitting here in a rather mindless state. All of a sudden, the word glockenspiel just seems to pop out from nowhere. Glockenspiel? WTF?

Get out of my mind, I shout. But it won't leave. At first, it seems to meander to and fro, not formulated in any sort of rational manner. Slowly, I remember reading as a youth a story about a boy and a glockenspiel. I don't remember many particulars except that, at some point, he thought a glockenspiel might look like a clarinet -- it doesn't resemble a clarinet at all!

It's weird how such thoughts pop up in our minds. Me thinks the cause of this phenomena has to do with the fact that our minds are so crammed full of information that odd things just fall out of our mental closets from time to time.

Hmm. Glockenspiel?

4 comments:

  1. Glockenspiels, indeed. I actually have one of those in the back closet. Mom was a music teacher.

    I think you're onto something with the information overload theory. I get weird little brain farts like that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew what a Glockenspiel even was. It sounds like it'd be a breed of dog. But now I know. Some words just stick with us thru our lives. For me, it's another Germanic word, schadenfreude. It sounds so fun to say, not to say that saying Glockenspiel isn't fun.... ok I'm starting to sound like a Dr Seuss book. I'll stop while I'm ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay. Dr. Seuss is one of my heroes!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.