Thursday, December 3, 2009

48 in Different Tongues

The snippet I used from Wen Tzu, Verse 48 reads as follows: "Faithfulness" is inexhaustible. However, I realize that people the world over stop in here from time to time. So, here's that same sentence in a few different languages:
  • "Uaminifu" ni inexhaustible. (Swahili)
  • "الاخلاص" لا ينضب. (Arabic)
  • "Trung thành" là vô tận. (Vietnamese)
  • “诚”是无穷无尽的。(Chinese - Simplified)
  • "Trouw" is onuitputtelijk. (Dutch)
  • "Kesetiaan" adalah habis-habisnya. (Malay)
  • "Vernosť" je nevyčerpateľný. (Slovak)
  • "נאמנות" הוא בלתי נדלה. (Hebrew)
  • "سرسپردگی" است پایان ناپذیر. (Persion)
  • "Trohet" är outtömlig. (Swedish)
  • Inexhaustible "Faithfulness" is. (Canadian...just kidding!)

6 comments:

  1. lol don't you mean "yoda" not canadian? ;) too funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be quite frank, I attempted to find a translation for the sentence in Klingon or Rommulan, but couldn't. The Yoda suggestion is a good one, but I don't remember what language he spoke. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look out, you're gonna have some crazy Farsi-peaking Afghan throwing a PERSIAN melon at you!
    Sorry, copy editor attack. (I don't get enough satisfaction at my day job....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farsi-speaking...maybe peaking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm obviously NOT having a good spelling day. :( (It's the fault of the middle finger on my right hand.) I suppose this comes with the territory when one is a one-fingered typist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I understand. As a result of a car accident, I have a severely dislocated left pinkie that has a mind of its own regarding the caps lock key. (But it looks good when I'm drinking tea!) I'm not going to ask about that middle finger...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.