Monday, November 2, 2009

Real Life Tao - Toward the Center

While this won't be an issue at all for regular readers, I do worry that many newcomers and passersby may get the inaccurate perception that philosophical Taoism is a SELF-centered belief system. It certainly appears that way -- on the surface. In examining the classic writings of the Taoist sages, I'm constantly writing on themes such as look inside yourself, find your center, don't worry about external pressures and following your own path. Sounds very self-centered, doesn't it?

While we each may dip our buckets into our own individual wells, the water we are after comes from a universal spring!

Because Taoism posits that all of creation represents different manifestation of the One, the center we are trying to find is one shared by all beings. This is why Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu harp on the idea of letting go of our egos. When the concept of self is removed from the equation, what we are trying to do is to find that essential essence that permeates everything.

A true Taoist sage would be the antithesis of a self-centered egomaniac. Rather than fixating on his or her own individual longings and desires, the sage seeks to live a life that promotes the universal community above the self.

Of course, reaching this stage of enlightenment of sagacity, is an almost impossible task. I'm certainly nowhere near it and I don't believe any of the Taoists I know are anywhere near it either. However, it's a superb goal to aim for and, as I age and grow in wisdom, I'm trying to move my life more in that direction -- toward the center where I can drink from the universal spring.

This post is part of a series. For an introduction, go here.

2 comments:

  1. HI R T

    I SO Love that ideal - "drink from the universal spring" I have at times and it is SO refreshing, life-giving and pure.

    Love you
    Gail
    peace......

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.