Sunday, October 25, 2009

Younger Day by Day

From the typical human standpoint, each day we're still alive means that we've grown one day older. As some people phrase it, we're one inch closer to the grave. It's easy to understand this perspective as we can plainly discern a starting point -- birth -- and every moment lived marches toward the finish line -- death.

But there is another way, just as viable, to understand this weird trip we call life.

As far as most of us can know regarding this plane of existence, each of us will die a physical death. As death is just as much a constant as is birth, we could easily swap their designations with death being the starting point (toward the next phase, maybe?) and birth being the finish line. From this vantage point then, each moment we inch toward death would be tantamount to growing YOUNGER by the day!

Of course, the problem with this type of formulation is that none of us knows when we will die. Consequently, it's impossible to affix a number to an anniversary date that we don't know of. Once we DO know it, then it's too late! ;>)

Suffice it to say, I'm x amount of days younger than I was previously. I can't say by how much because I don't know that yet.

5 comments:

  1. I definitely came to this same conclusion about a month ago. Glad to know that I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I've heard that when the Universe stops expanding and begins to contract, we will remember our futures and not recall our past. I'm looking forward to this happening in several billion years, because it sounds totally rad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,
    It just goes to show that great minds think alike! :)

    Dasein36,
    You know, you're as weird as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "He not busy being born, is busy dying."
    (Bob Dylan)

    Interesting, the aim of internal alchemy is to grow younger...

    "Fire Pig" not wishing you a happy birthday, you "Solitary Rooster." ;-}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you could do what I did and go to deathclock.com and enter your information and it will come up with a date and year of death (or birth....) The anniversary of my death is November 6th, 2051 and I celebrate that day now. There is a lot to think about on that day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.