Friday, October 30, 2009

What He Say?

I've been known to get things garbled from time to time and completely to misunderstand what someone is trying to tell me. This has been particularly true with popular songs through the years! There have been numerous times when I swear that an artist or group was singing a particular word or phrase only to find out later that it was something altogether different.

When the song featured below first came out in 1966 (I think), I was 9 years old. The first few times I heard it on the radio the lyrics befuddled me because I couldn't figure out why a "Secret Asian Man" would be assigned a number and not a name. More importantly, I couldn't fathom why an Asian man would want to keep his ethnicity secret in the first place!

Of course, I was very embarrassed when my classmates pointed out that the middle word in the song title was NOT "Asian". No, it was...

5 comments:

  1. Oops, the youtube video didn't load properly the first time, so I thought you wanted us to guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. I remember the exact same thing. My mom always listens to this era "oldies" on the radio, so I grew up with them. I always thought it was "asian" and my mom told me it was "agent."

    ~Eric
    www.atlanteanconspiracy.com
    www.ericdubay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric,
    That makes me feel better! It means I'm not the only one. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.