Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Taoist Voices Today

In my last post, I discussed not eschewing contemporary visionaries for those from our ancient past. While there have been and continue to be several capable Taoists who have written books, in this post I simply wish to draw your attention to Taoist blogs.

I'm only going to mention a few and, if I don't mention yours or one you favor, it's in no way meant as a slight. There are more quality Taoist-based blogs than I care to shake a stick at right now. : ) I view this as a very positive development.

If you like the writings of Chuang Tzu, then I can suggest no better blog than Tow Wow. The Aussie who writes this blog uses the simple moniker of Tao and Tao shares great insights in an often humorous and metaphysical manner.

The Taoist blog I have kept track of the longest is The Useless Tree. Written by Dr. Sam Crane of Williams College, this blog covers both Taoist and Confucian thought in terms of contemporary national and international affairs. If that wasn't enough, Sam also applies the philosophy of Taoism toward understanding disability in the memory of his late son, Aidan.

If you're looking for a modern take on Taoist principles, one of the best blogs around is Personal Tao Musing by Casey Kochmer. Before heading off to his Hawaiian paradise, Casey used to call Washington State home. He offers personal contemplations and helpful advice that are both practical AND inspiring.

A great blog from across the pond is The Path of Water - 21st Century Taoism. Written by Woody, he is the main founder of the New Taoist Community. He offers a lot of ideas to ponder and I've followed his writings for quite some time.

We all know that I'm not overly enthralled with the Christian religion, but I do need to give a shout out to HK at Christian Taoism and CM at Transformations as both seek to apply Taoist principles and insights to their faith. Both pull it off magnificently, in my opinion.

There is also a new Taoist blog I want to call your attention to -- A New Shade of Black. Authored by Mr. Methodic, he has been tackling some of the core issues of this philosophic outlook.

The final blog I will mention here is not really a Taoist blog. Church of the Churchless is hosted by Brian Hines, the only blogging compatriot I've had the pleasure of meeting in person! Brian does cover Taoist themes, from time to time, but his main focus is on living a vibrant life without the need for a religious faith of any kind. Of all the blogs listed in the right sidebar, I've have been a fan of his blog the longest.

2 comments:

  1. I was going to point out that I'm not Aussie and just happen to be in Australia - but nations are a silly idea when we are all that is and all that ever will be .. So i'm just another bubble in the stream, the stream passed through england when this bubble emerged from the water and i'm not sure where I will pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, man. I guess I just assumed that because you're living down under you were born down under. My bad.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.