Thursday, October 8, 2009

Listen to the Music

Often, when I'm having one of those days when my mind seems to be racing from hither and to yon and back again at breakneck speed, I look for ways to calm the raging inferno in my head. While breathing exercises may slow my heart rate, my ego-infused mind keeps racing along. What to do? What to do?

While no strategy works like a charm every time, the one that frequently helps me slow down is music. I have a good-sized classical music collection and something like the Blue Danube will often do the trick. However, when I'm really stressed and anxious -- like having to go to the dentist where strange people will touch my person or, even worse, going to a mall with swarming hordes -- even classical music isn't enough!!

It is times like these when I turn to my most prized cd -- Magical Healing Mantras. (Actually, I fall asleep most nights listening to the rhythmic chants.) Today, I was looking on Amazon.com for some Tao-infused music. I found two cds that may well be in my buying future: Tao: Music for Relaxation and Tao of Healing. Both offer samples of the music and everything I sampled sounds relaxing. I could also download various selections in mp3 format, but I'm old fashioned and would prefer the whole cd.

This got me to wondering what kinds of music YOU use for relaxing and/or clearing your mind. Tell me. Tell me. I'm all ears. : )

11 comments:

  1. HI R T -

    Oh this is a wonderful topic - I love to relax to "IL DIVO", Josh Groben, "The Three Tenors", 'Peter, Paul and Mary' always take me somewhere else other than my own current thoughts, I love drums, rhythmic drum sounds, and I can really get in to "Show Tunes", I sing a long, pretend I have a microphone and I am the star!! :-)

    Love to you
    Gail
    peace and music

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sounds of nature the best, especially birds, crickets, rain, and ocean waves.

    How to Relax Naturally

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to listen to Hip-Hop but I cannot do it anymore. I listen to Electronica, Classical, Alternative Reggae and Indie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha, you DO practice!!! Bob Dylan usually clears my mind; lately been listening to a lot of genuine Chinese classical music (er hu, gu qin, etc.) Beethoven's 7th always does something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI R T -

    We lov to kareoke _ Skipp is way better than me though. He always gets standing ovations and screams from the crowd. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cym,
    Funny you should mention ocean waves. I had to take my wife to the doctor today (stiff neck). The clinic is located in Tokeland, near the ocean. While waiting, I walked down this trail a bit and sat to listen to the ocean.

    I dare say that most treasured sound in nature is listening to the ocean. I can sit mesmerized for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leon,
    Hip hop, eh? I like most of the other stuff you listed. : )

    Ok Baroness, I guess you got me here!

    Gail,
    Della is good at wowing the crowd (or so she tells me). I, of course, never go -- there's people there, ya know? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listen to a very wide variety of music. What I listen for relaxation depends on mood. It could be classical, new age/celtic mix, progressive rock/metal. My brains wired funny for music and to relax I need to poke at genre's to find the sound, speed and emotion that turns my body to mush for that point in time. A couple examples of styles: right now is Devin Townsend - Bastard and Demians - The Perfect Symmetry, yesterday was Ayreon - Day 13 and Leave's Eyes - Senses Capture, the previous day bouncing between Loreena McKennitt and Adiemus. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. 3 hours from now could be specific sounds of classical or some kind of string acoustic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. heavy metal. no, seriously. :P don't know why, i just have an affinity for screaming, electric guitar distortion, and thundering drums. i guess i feel more centered amid the chaos?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sing (annie lennox, diana krall, EBTG, caetano veloso, daniela mercury and etc. etc. I don't have a particular preference, so what I sing depends on my mood). But when singing is not working I repeat in my mind a mantra (om ah hum vajra guru padma siddhi hum); I'm not buddhist but somehow that mantra relax me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.