Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So Quiet

Aside from writing loads of blog posts, I tend to read a lot of them too. I routinely follow over 40 blogs and there are several more I try to check up on approximately once per week. Lately, however, there's been a dearth of new entries. Of course, each of us takes a break from time to time (mine lasted through almost all of 2008) to recharge the batteries and handle other aspects of our lives, but this is the first time in five years when so many of my favorite blogs have gone relatively silent simultaneously!

Is this merely a coincidence? Might it have something to do with the season? Could it be that more and more folks are moving away from blogs toward social networks like Twitter and Facebook? Could it be a combination of all of these reasons or something else altogether?

I don't know the answer and probably never will. It just seems oh so quiet right now.

5 comments:

  1. If any of the others are like me RT then it is what I have heard called "crazy fatigue". The unreasonable weirdness of the far right and the insane gamesmanship and 'chicken dancing' of Congress over such obviously reasonable things like health care reform, environmental policy, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan...you name it. I am feeling totally overwhelmed by the insanity and just want to sit under a tree and try and find some balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed cycles of unrelenting writing followed by quiet periods as well in my own friends' blogs. This is one of those quiet times, I agree. I've not been writing much myself, because of work and a bout of writers' block. I've even noticed a couple of people I've followed for a long time have dropped off the map, taking their blogs with them.

    I suspect you are right about more people turning to Twitter and Facebook instead of blogging. But there are probably other reasons. If a couple of people do it, it's personal; if a couple of thousand people do it, then it's a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone's been playing over on Facebook. It's the new blogging. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well... I think quiet is good. Everybody have their own rhythm for everything. The good thing about this is that if they are quiet this gives you more time to explore other blogs in the meantime.

    By the way, I don't like the social networks... I feel like losing my life in there. :D (a little over dramatic lol! but that's what I felt when I tried them).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of us have been painting and flooring our basement. Arggg….

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.