Thursday, August 6, 2009

Music In My Ears

Last week I traveled to Olympia to have my consultation with an oral surgeon. Now that I've completed step #2 of a three-step process, I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the Medicaid folks to sign off on the medical orders. Once that's out of the way, then I get to schedule my surgery to have all of my remaining teeth pulled and to transition over to...dentures.

While I loath ANY trip to the dentist -- I have a phobia about needles, I don't like to be touched and I'm very uncomfortable when people invade my large personal space -- the surgery itself won't be so bad because I'll be out like a light. Of course, once the surgery IS scheduled, then it will be time for my anxiety disorder to kick in. : )

Several years ago I needed to have two teeth pulled and, because of my various psychological issues, my then-insurance provider, surprisingly enough, approved the use of anesthesia. I was a bundle of nerves for two days, but I came up with a strategy to try to keep me as calm as possible.

On the day of the surgery, I borrowed my wife's walkman with headphones and brought along one of my all-time favorite rock tapes -- Don't Look Back by Boston. As I climbed into the dental chair, I clapped the headphones on my ears and cranked up the music really loud. When they stuck the IV in my arm, I hardly noticed it and I fell asleep rocking out.

The next thing I knew I was still listening to Boston -- thanks to a very understanding dental hygienist. I started to ask when we were going to get the show on the road when, I realized, my mouth was filled with gauze and two teeth were missing! Needless to say, I chocked this up as my best trip to a dentist ever.

Here we are, years later, and I plan to follow the same tact this time around. However, since I'm a bit older and I have learned to handle my anxiety a bit better, I'm trying to decide which music cd to tote along. While Boston served me well over a decade ago, I'm actually thinking of utilizing some more sedate music to try to calm my nerves.

The candidates are
I'm leaning towards the latter. It is probably my most favorite cd. From the jacket, it states:
Mantras carry in their sound the magical ability to protect, liberate, vitalize, open the heart, relax emotions and mind, and support the healing of body and soul. For thousands of years, it has been known in the East that mantras have transforming powers over all natural phenomena.
I don't know if any of that is true or not, but it's the cd I tend to listen to when reading, contemplating or trying to de-stress. More often than not, it's the music I listen to as I drift off to sleep each night.

Of the seven tracks, my favorite is "Govinda Jaya Jaya". It's a melodious blend of sitar music with a lead chanter and a male chorus.

Yes, I think that cd is going with me.

Here's a different track from the album I found on YouTube.


2 comments:

  1. :) i listened to johnny cash during early labor, so you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big country music fan, but I DO like Johnny Cash.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.