Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Yes, "It" Happens

When I go tootling around the blogosphere each day looking for references to Taoism, more often than not, I find it in relation to two reference points: 1) The BeliefNet religion quiz and 2) The ubiquitous "Shit Happens" poster.

If you've never visited BeliefNet.com -- I'm not necessarily recommending it either -- you can participate in a questionnaire entitled Belief-O-Matic to help determine which churches and/or philosophies match up with your answers on the quiz. I took the "test" years ago and wasn't thrilled with several of the questions and the multiple choice format. I suppose one could say it's mildly entertaining with emphasis placed on the word, mild.

The other point in which I often find the word Taoism referenced is in regards to the hilarious poster about how differing religions and philosophies interpret fecal matter. Here's one of many versions. What surprises me is that most folks who copy and paste this long list don't seem interested in analyzing it.

For my part, I think it's really accurate. Generally speaking, the first religion/philosophy on the list is Taoism: Shit happens. Those two words really sum it all up, don't you think?

That said, I can see why those from the Abrahamic religions might not find the list so funny!

Addendum: If you REALLY like the list, you can purchase a shorter version in T-Shirt form from Northern Sun for around $20.

4 comments:

  1. I had never before seen this list, but you can bet I will be "copying and pasting" soon.

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just posted something about I-Ching and Tofu. Nothing fecal though. Is the I-Ching (Yi Jing) considered Taoist, pre-Daoist, confucian daoist mix, hopelessly confused divination, based on Taoist Ying-yang stuff for the masses, or what?
    Serious question.
    thanx,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val & Kay,
    I'm really surprised you haven't seen this before. It's been around for years. I used to manage a gift shop called The Peace Store and this list adorned our most popular T-Shirt.

    Sabio,
    The answer to your question is mixed. The I-Ching predates Taoism only via the fact that the name of the philosophy itself came centuries after the basic thought congealed. In fact, when Lao Tzu purportedly wrote the Tao Te Ching, he wasn't a "Taoist" either.

    It was years later that people begin to collect these various strands into a school of thought that is known today as Taoism. So, it's pre-Taoist AND Taoist simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compost happens! : )

    This was from Kier Butterfly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.