Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Eagle Has Landed

One of the ways in which each of us marks the times in our life is by pivotal movements in history. Though I am ever edging closer to my 52nd birthday, I can still recall where I was when I learned that JFK had been assassinated -- Mrs. Thrall's first grade class at Hale Cook Elementary School. Though I'm not always clear on precise memories, the thought of that day still keeps me in touch with the profound sadness I and others around me felt.

When John Lennon was gunned down, I was working as a deejay at KXOW-AM in Hot Springs, Arkansas. I can still tap into the emotion I felt when, breaking into the evening's music, I announced in a very choked up voice that the soul of Imagine and Give Be a Chance had been silenced.

This coming Monday will be the 40th anniversary of another momentous occasion -- the Apollo 11 Mission and humankind's first steps on the moon. I remember sitting next to my mom in our living room watching history being made on our small black and white TV. I remember Walter Cronkite's heartfelt commentary. Most of all, I remember the sense of wonder that human beings were standing on the moon -- that same rock I looked at almost every single night.

I'm still filled with that same wonder and I dream of the day humankind reaches Mars and beyond. I'm sure that part of my vicarious wanderlust is that I hope that one day we will discover we're not alone in the universe, that there are other diverse life forms beyond our planet and solar system.

I hope that, if that day arrives, we will meet in trust and peace, not fear and war. Most of all, we will extend the hand of friendship.

These are the kinds of feelings that strike me today as I remember "one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.