Monday, March 16, 2009

Creatures Great & Small

During the past week or so, not only has my dear wife taken care of me, but our brood of animals (3 cats and 1 dog) certainly has done their part too. In an almost human-like way, I think they had a meeting -- led by their senior member, Heidi, the dog.
Heidi: One of our humans -- the tall goofy guy -- seems to be a bit under the weather. The lady took him away.
Little Bit: I may have only one eye, but it has noticed he was grimacing a lot.
Mookie: I agree. He kept holding his stomach which made it difficult for me to lay on his lap.
Little Bit: Mook, there are ways around that. Haven't you been watching me? You just sort of sidle up by his left shoulder...
Dylan: Who cares about that? He's the one who feeds us!
Little Bit: Always thinking with your stomach, you are!!
Heidi: Would you cats just stop it! We need to come up with a plan when he comes home.
Dylan: You mean IF he comes homes. Who will feed us otherwise?
Little Bit: Don't be such a pessimist. He'll be back. The dog's right. We need to ensure he's never out of our sight.
Mookie: Agreed.
Dylan: Oh, okay I guess. I mean I DO want him to get back to normal because I want to eat!
Heidi: If you will each look at this schedule I've drawn up you will see your assigned shifts. Two of us will be with him at all times.
Little Bit: I see you have me double-shifted several times.
Heidi: Is that a problem?
Little Bit: No. The guy and I have become tried and true pals.
And that's the way it has played out. Everywhere I go, there are at least 2 animals close by at all times. Little Bit has spent the most time hovering around me and providing lots of kitty kisses. Even Dylan, the psychotic cat, has slept in my bedroom the last two nights -- something he rarely ever does!

When a person is feeling weak and vulnerable, it's a reassuring feeling to know that others are looking out for you...whatever their species!

2 comments:

  1. Rt,
    I have seen this sort of thing over and over again. Animals can sense the suffering of those they care about (in their way) and they respond with such compassion and care as they can provide. One of their "pack" is hurting, and they need to care for it.

    At least I think that's what's going on. :) In any case, it's good stuff, and I know you are grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right about the "pack" concept. We humans are the ones that make the distinctions of "human" and "pet". For our animals, I'm certain they view the entire group of individuals living under one roof as the "family".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.