Sunday, January 14, 2007

Slowly Down the Path

Like almost every other man or woman who reaches a certain age of maturity, I'm going gray. It started out innocently enough -- a few gray hairs, here and there. One day I discovered there were quite a few more than I had realized and, lately, the gray ones seem to have overtaken the brown ones.

Not only is my hair changing color, but there seems to be a lot less of it. Both my father and younger brother developed "chrome domes" in their twenties. I'm still not there yet, but, as I prepare to turn 50 this Fall, I'm moving that direction post haste.

Mind you, I'm not begrudging these changes. In fact, while our society tries to immortalize youth, I welcome my changing seasons.

All things in our world go through cycles and I'm no different. While I certainly no longer possess the vitality of my youth, my increased knowledge and experience makes my life that much richer.

One of the great byproducts of the aging process is that we begin to slow down. We no longer take so much for granted. We come face-to-face with our own earthly mortality and become more acutely aware that our time is both precious and limited.

Until our last moments -- if we are wise -- we continue down our path. We just move a tad bit slower.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.