Tuesday, November 19, 2013

All Squared Away (I Think)

Trey Smith


I have spent far more time than I expected away from posting on this blog. Part of the reason simply has to do with the moving (unpacking) process. The other part, however, had to do with a slew of unexpected encumbrances.

For starters, we had a bit of trouble setting up our new home wireless network. The USB wifi adapter we have isn't configured to work with Linux -- no surprise there! Usually Linux Mint is really good at working out a configuration set-up on its own, but not this time. So, I had to pull a PCI wifi adapter from another computer to get the network up and running.

Once this problem was solved, I planned to post something early Sunday evening before another problem cropped up, one I have not encountered before: the main computer cord shorted out. Normally, this wouldn't have been a problem at all. I simply would have grabbed one of several such cords we keep around and my computer would have been up and running again in no time.

One of the potential pitfalls of a major downsizing is that, as soon as you "downsize" a particular item, you need it! That's what happened. We had donated almost all of our spare computer components and accessories. So, I had to wait until Monday morning to trek down to Ocean Shore's thrift shop to buy another cord!

Yesterday morning with two major hurdles dealt with, I had one more to tackle. I couldn't set up my new email account. I followed all the various instructions, but nothing worked. I called tech support and followed all of their instructions and it still wouldn't work. The tech people tried a number of things and they couldn't get it to work either. Finally, someone up the chain of command made some sort of change to my account -- I have no idea whatsoever what it was -- and all the things that didn't work previously miraculously worked like a charm.

So, "I think" I'm finally all squared away. After making my last cleaning trip back to South Bend today, I hopefully can start setting up my new routine here in Ocean Shores which will include more regular posts to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.