Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bit by Bit - Chapter 21, Part 5

Trey Smith

Confucius went to call on Lao Tan. Lao Tan had just finished washing his hair and had spread it over his shoulders to dry. Utterly motionless, he did not even seem to be human. Confucius, hidden from sight, stood waiting, and then after some time presented himself and exclaimed, "Did my eyes play tricks on me, or was that really true? A moment ago, Sir, your form and body seemed stiff as an old dead tree, as though you had forgotten things, taken leave of men, and were standing in solitude itself!"

Lao Tan said, "I was letting my mind wander in the Beginning of things."

"What does that mean?" asked Confucius.

"The mind may wear itself out but can never understand it; the mouth may gape but can never describe it. Nevertheless, I will try explaining it to you in rough outline.

~ Burton Watson translation ~
Every damn word you on this blog is nothing more than a rough outline! Words are just approximations of what we think, say and feel.

There are times when I have a masterpiece in my head. I sit down to peck out the post and, try as I might, the words don't do justice to what is in me noggin. No matter how I try, I can't express the experience adequately. Words seem to jumble up the whole thing!

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.