Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Danger of Writing Ahead

Trey Smith


I have gotten into the habit of penning my posts several days (or weeks) before they post on this blog. I generally like this system because it provides me with a bit of a cushion. If I come upon a day or two in which one of my many maladies is flaring up worse than usual and I find that I am having trouble concentrating, I can let it slide because that day's post and probably the next day's posts as well are already written and scheduled in Blogger. In fact, it is not uncommon at all for me to have 50 or more posts scheduled to go.

But there is one danger in writing ahead. As we have all been a witness to, major events and controversies seem to rear their heads almost every week. When something like a national scandal or another mass shooting occurs, I usually have something to say on the matter. Heck, as readers know, I often have A LOT to say.

So, when these sorts of things happen, I end up spending far more time than I would like reordering the posting schedule. I basically have to push back what has already been written to later days. No, this certainly isn't the worst thing a person can encounter. On the overall scale of distasteful activities, it probably ranks near the bottom. That said, it still can be quite annoying!

As it so happens, I am writing this post on Saturday night. It is scheduled to post at 6:30 pm PDT on Tuesday, May 21. If nothing major occurs between then and now, that is when it will go live. It will be interesting to see if that is when this musing actually arrives here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.