Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bit by Bit - Chapter 13, Part 14

Trey Smith

Long ago Shun asked Yao, "As Heaven-appointed king, how do you use your mind?"

Yao replied, "I never abuse those who have nowhere to sue, nor reject the poor people. Grieving for the dead, comforting the orphan, pitying the widow - I use my mind in these things alone."

Shun said, "Admirable, as far as admirableness goes. But not yet great."

Yao said, "Then what should I do?"

Shun said, "Heaven raised on high, earth in peace, sun and moon shining, the four seasons marching - if you could be like the constant succession of day and night, the clouds which move, the rains that fall!"

"And to think I have been going to all this bustle and bother!" said Yao. "You are one who joins with Heaven; I am one who joins with man."

~ Burton Watson translation ~
At first glance, this snippet might indicate that we shouldn't concern ourselves with the plight of the poor. Hey, it's just a bunch of bustle! But that's not what I take away from it.

Tao takes care of all things. If we follow Tao's example, then we are concerned for all, including the plight of the poor.

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.