Wednesday, April 3, 2013

On the Road Again

Trey Smith


For 3 months, I hardly drove at all as Della had our car in White Salmon. Now that she has returned home, I can't seem to get out of the damn thing!

On Saturday, I drove the 200+ miles from White Salmon to South Bend. On Monday, I drove to and from Portland (about 300 miles) to bring Della home from the hospital. Tomorrow I will drive back to White Salmon in my friend's Ford Expedition to pick up the rest of Della's belongings (including some furniture) and then, if I have the energy, I will drive back that evening (about 420 miles round trip). If I'm too bushed, I'll drive part of the way back and then catch a few zees at a rest area before returning home early Friday morning.

That's 900+ miles in less than a week!

I realize that many folks could cover 900 miles in a day or two without breaking into a sweat. Heck, a decade or so ago, I could drive 900 miles in a day. These days, however, I consider 50 miles to be a long trip! Over the past 2 years, I don't think I've driven 900 miles in 6 month's time.

This is how our lives so often go. It is feast or famine. Here I've spent the past 3 months longing for the opportunity to drive myself around and now it's getting close to the point that I can't stand the thought of it. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.