Monday, March 25, 2013

Afternoon Matinee: Protest - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti

Performed by Joan Baez





Father, yes, I am a prisoner
Fear not to relay my crime
The crime is loving the forsaken
Only silence is shame

And now I'll tell you what's against us
An art that's lived for centuries
Go through the years and you will find
What's blackened all of history

Against us is the law
With its immensity of strength and power
Against us is the law
Police know how to make a man
A guilty or an innocent

Against us is the power of police
The shameless lies that men have told
Will ever more be paid in gold
Against us is the power of the gold
Against us is racial hatred
And the simple fact that we are poor

My father dear, I am a prisoner
Don't be ashamed to tell my crime
The crime of love and brotherhood
And only silence is shame

With me I have my love, my innocence
The workers and the poor
For all of this I'm safe and strong
And hope is mine

Rebellion, revolution don't need dollars
They need this instead
Imagination, suffering, light and love
And care for every human being

You never steal, you never kill
You are a part of hope and life
The revolution goes from man to man
And heart to heart
And I sense when I look at the stars
That we are children of life, death is small
~ from Lyric Wiki ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.