I am penning this post from frosty White Salmon. We ended up traveling here late Tuesday night because the Wednesday forecast looked bad. It called for high winds and a combination of freezing rain, sleet and snow. Of course, the weather today hasn't been bad at all, so it turns out we could have driven here this morning with little worry. Still, it's best to err on the side of caution.
If all goes as planned, I am on a westbound train right now headed for Portland, Oregon. I will get to cool my heels for two hours at the Portland train station before boarding a second train headed north. My friend Dan will pick me up in Centralia around 2:00 pm and then we'll head on back to South Bend.
While I don't like being in a strange house -- trying as best I can to sleep on an uneven futon -- and being away from my "babies," this trip is worth it because it has afforded me the opportunity to spend an extra day or two with Della. After I leave tomorrow, I probably won't see her for 2 or 3 weeks!