Sunday, January 13, 2013

As She Slept

Trey Smith


Last night I stood in the doorway of my wife's bedroom to watch her sleep. I did this because tonight she won't be in that bed -- it will be empty. It will be empty for most nights moving forward with the few exceptions for brief visits home.

I remember watching her sleep during our dating years. We both were much younger then. She looked so beautiful and peaceful.

She remains beautiful to me, but not as peaceful as before. Even as a young gal, Della has always been a world renowned snorer. It sometimes sounds like a cross between a raging locomotive and a rampaging herd of elephants! There are nights when she snores so loud that the windows and walls rattle.

I'm not complaining -- I sleep on the second floor -- it is part of who she is.

Truth be known, I will miss the noise. More importantly, I will dearly miss the one who makes it.

3 comments:

  1. How beautiful that you still find her beautiful even when she snors :)
    I wonder why she has to leave home :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeli,
      Della is serving in AmeriCorps in a town about 200 miles southeast of here. I will join her there eventually. For now, I have to take care of liquidating our house.

      Delete
    2. good to hear she is ok :)

      Delete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.