Friday, December 7, 2012

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Trey Smith


On our trip to the Gorge, we visited quite a few homes. The place Della decided to rent will be good for her. The price is reasonable and it is only 1 block from the business district. The proprietor is a woman roughly Della's age and so she will have a "friend" in the area.

Here's the description of the place Della settled on.
Our vintage home is in a quiet neighborhood in beautiful White Salmon. We are within walking distance of 10-Speed Coffee Shop, Everybody's brewery and restaurant, the public library and Thriftway. The room available is furnished and spacious as are the shared kitchen, laundry room and garden. The perspective of guests has been; the home feels like a bed and breakfast.
If the roles had been reversed -- I was the one looking for a room share situation -- I would not have chosen this one. There were two other places we looked at that were more my cup of tea. The first one (you can see photos of it here) is located about 2 miles northwest of White Salmon. You have to travel down a rutted dirt road to get to it and I can imagine that, without a 4-wheel drive, it might be tough getting out during snowy conditions.

The home is old, rustic and beautiful. It is surrounded by forests and, best of all, you can hear the rushing water of the White Salmon River! Heck, just being able to sit out on the deck and listen to the river 24/7 sold me in an instant. But I understand why Della didn't choose this location. We don't own a 4-wheel drive and it's imperative that she get to her service site each day.

The other home was located about 7 miles east of White Salmon a little more than a mile northeast of the tiny hamlet of Lyle. It sits high on a bluff that provides a darn picturesque view of the surrounding country. The proprietor there is a rather odd fellow about my age -- he was quite funny too!

Again, I can understand Della's reluctance to choose this home. It sits off of a bumpy county road that might not be too easy to traverse in snowy and icy conditions.

I liked both of these latter two locations because OF their remoteness. As a bloke that's not too keen on people, in general, and feeling crowded, in specific, my preference is to be far off the beaten trail. Both of these homes met that requirement quite well!!

Of course, each did have one major drawback: other people! I would like each location far better if I had the opportunity to live there alone or with my dear wife and animal friends. Living in a home with other people is not something I would choose unless it was my ONLY option. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.