Friday, December 21, 2012

Certainly Not the Leader of a Pack

Trey Smith


In responding to KaiWen from The Post I Keep Deleting, I realized that I had forgotten one aspect of my personality that guarantees that I will never turn into somebody like Adam Lanza: I am terrified of crowds!  When I find myself in one, I run away from it as fast as I can.

While some people live to be in a pack, I dread it. It's the reason I don't go out in public very much and the reason I live in small rural communities. The fewer people I see on a daily basis, the better!

And, after thinking about it, there is another variable as well. While many people in my situation are pained by their lack of social contact and social relationships, I'm not. I did suffer from this in my early years, but I have moved beyond it. I actually LIKE being by myself. I'm not mad at the world because of my self-imposed isolation.

Finally, while I certainly spend the vast majority of my time alone, I DO have a few social outlets. I frequently visit my friend Paul's mini mart and sort of hang out with Paul and his employees. I go to the grocery store several times per week and engage in brief banter with the checkers.

1 comment:

  1. For all that you share with the world I have no concern you would do anything like a mass shooting because of your Aspberger's. Don't go there with your thoughts, put those doubts to rest. You are not a self absorbed angry young man. You are a man with thoughts and ideas and forever searching for peace. Rest well - happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.