Monday, December 3, 2012

Bit by Bit - Chapter 4, Part 10

Trey Smith


Yen Hui said, "Before I heard this, I was certain that I was Hui. But now that I have heard it, there is no more Hui. Can this be called emptiness?"

"That's all there is to it," said Confucius. "Now I will tell you. You may go and play in his bird cage, but never be moved by fame. If he listens, then sing; if not, keep still. Have no gate, no opening, but make oneness your house and live with what cannot be avoided. Then you will be close to success.

~ Burton Watson translation ~
The art of meditation is different for each person or, at least, it offers a different experience for each person. How I relate to emptiness might be far different than you do and vice versa.

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.