Sunday, November 4, 2012

Righteous Purpose

Trey Smith

We are vanishing from the earth, yet I cannot think we are useless or Usen [the creator] would not have created us. He created all tribes of men and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each.
~ from Geronimo's Story of His Life (1906) ~
This simple statement well encapsulates my beliefs as it relates to all things, not just "tribes" or people, in general. Whatever it is -- I call it the Grand Mystery -- that created life or caused existence to come to be, it had a "righteous purpose" in creating each thing. By "righteous," I don't mean a "divine plan" or a "sacred trust"; I mean more that each being has its place in the overall mosaic of what we call life on earth.

Even further, every entity has its own purpose. Every entity walks its own path. In my mind's eye, there is no hierarchy -- any being or entity is not greater or lesser than any other. This is not to say that each entity is equal. Equality is a human concept and may not mean a damn thing to any other species or the Grand Mystery at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.