Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mencius - Book 6, Part 2, Chapter 2A

Chiâo of Tsâo asked Mencius, saying, 'It is said, "All men may be Yâos and Shuns;" is it so?' Mencius replied, It is.'

Chiâo went on, 'I have heard that King Wan was ten cubits high, and T'ang nine. Now I am nine cubits four inches in height. But I can do nothing but eat my millet. What am I to do to realize that saying?'

Mencius answered him, 'What has this the question of size- to do with the matter? It all lies simply in acting as such. Here is a man, whose strength was not equal to lift a duckling: he was then a man of no strength. But to-day he says, "I can lift 3,000 catties' weight," and he is a man of strength. And so, he who can lift the weight which Wû Hwo lifted is just another Wû Hwo. Why should a man make a want of ability the subject of his grief? It is only that he will not do the thing.
~ James Legge translation via nothingistic.org ~
 Go here to read the introductory post to this serialized version of the Works of Mencius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.