Saturday, November 17, 2012

Looking Out by Looking In

Trey Smith


In my 9:45 am post, I talked about my vision for America. To be frank, it's not so much a particular vision for America, but for the whole world. (Tomorrow morning I will feature a video short produced by actor Matthew Modine, Jesus Was a Commie, that pretty much encapsulates a vision for the world that I agree with.)  There is nothing wrong with having ideals; it gives us something to aim for. There's also nothing wrong with having a vision for humanity.

But as the Taoist sages pointed out -- sages from other belief systems have made this same point too -- before we can work on the macrocosm, we must focus on the microcosm. To put this in the popular vernacular, we must be the change we seek.

For example, if I believe the world needs to be a more just place, I need to endeavor to be fair in ALL my dealings with others. If I believe we must embrace peace, then I must endeavor to be peaceful in all my interactions. If I cannot succeed in these aims, who I am to chastise the world?

This is THE task before each of us -- learning how to be loving, compassionate and humane in all we say, think and do. When it gets right down to it, we shouldn't worry about whether or not anyone else lives this way. I can't make you conform to my vision any more than you can make me conform to yours. In fact, trying to foist love or compassion on anyone is to thwart it at the very outset.

Some will protest that one life that embraces the essence of Tao (or whatever you want to call it) is a like a drop in the bucket and won't make a hill of beans worth of difference in the overall scheme of things. I think that analysis is not correct. In my view, every life and every moment does make a difference. Often, we are not cognizant of the ripples we send out from our center, but they are there, nonetheless.

One humane individual changes the world for the better. The only way I can prove this is by being that individual. It's far easier to hope that someone else will take up the mantle, but that's a surefire formula to insure that no one takes it up. So, it needs to be me.

The question is: Will I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.