Thursday, November 15, 2012

Knowing Me, Knowing You

Trey Smith


While I'm sure none of you lay awake at night asking yourself, "I wonder what Trey was like as teenager," IF you've ever wondered, there is a movie made in 1985 that will offer some clues. Vision Quest, starring Matthew Modine as Louden Swain, offers a close depiction of the way I was at age 18 and, to be honest, still am.

While the particulars of the main plot line -- Swain being a high school wrestler -- don't dovetail at all with my story, the subplot of learning the ways of the world from an older woman is right on target. More than that, the way Louden Swain comports himself reminds me of the way I comported myself as a young man.

In some ways, Swain appears to be very mature for his age. In other ways, however, he acts like a 12 year old! He talks about topics that no one else seems interested in. He makes jokes that no one else understands. And, when he is filled with emotion and desires to make serious statements, he says some bizarre things that cause many people simply to shake their heads.

That fits me to a T.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.